Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A small rendition of the Rocky Mountains

I tried to paint this from a photo postcard of the Rocky Mountains with acrylic paint, and mailed this painting to my uncle in Houston, who's been in remission from cancer, and who loved to fish and camp up there in the mountains when visiting here every summer. He, my aunt, and cousin Abby was a much anticipated visit growing up here in Denver. Being that my uncle originally came from Georgia, he was an accomplished fisherman and loved stream fishing. My parents weren't much into the fishing and camping scene so when they came to visit, we would sometimes spend a week up there, our first taste of living outdoors. I remember one year, oh, might have been around 1975 or 1976, we were camping a few miles from the tragic Big Thompson Canyon flood. It was raining and thundering so hard that night but we were warm and dry in our tent. And the next morning we heard what happened on the news. Despite that, we have many fond memories of fun times with my uncle Joe and his family.



I'm trying my hand at painting landscape scenes - this is my first attempt. I think too much green for the forest at the base of the mountains. Just need more learning and practicing.





I also made a necklace and earrings, and a flower bird card inspired from Abby - While She Naps blog - for my aunt in Houston, who's been under the weather lately. Hope she likes them.

No comments: